January 17, 2011

Homemade Lotion

I am always looking around my house at the products I use to see if there is anything I can make a homemade version of or buy a more natural option. I love slowly watching commercial products disappear from my house!

My latest change has been to make my own lotion. During the winter months my hands get so dry and not only did I not like using commercial lotions, but they didn't really work either. I saw a recipe online on how to make my own lotion bars and decided to give it a try. You might be wondering how it makes sense to have lotion in the form of a hard bar, but when you rub it on your hands, the warmth of your hands allows just enough to "melt" off.

Click here for the tutorial that I used. I just measured out the three ingredients: beeswax, shea butter, and coconut oil and melted them in the microwave. Add your favorite essential oil and pour into any shape mold that you would like. I used plastic containers of different sizes and came up with a variety of different size bars. It is not very time consuming but the bars will last a long time! It's a very simple change to make. My hands are no longer dry and cracked, and even my husband, who hated how greasy lotions made his hands feel, loves it!

I got my coconut oil and shea buttter from Amazon.com and the beeswax from Michaels craft store with a 40% off coupon. My only warning is that the utensils you use to make this become very oily and hard to clean. I found that the glass and porcelain products I used were much easier to clean than the plastics.

No comments:

Post a Comment