January 22, 2011

Home Roasted Coffee


If you want to change your life, you should roast your own coffee beans! Ok, I know that may seem a little extreme but it is seriously good stuff. I have been trying to get Carson to like coffee for years and he tried to enjoy it before when he was looking for a caffeine boost, but has never liked it. When we were home for Thanksgiving we had friend bring her supplies and show us how to roast our own coffee beans! It was a pretty easy process and two days later when the beans were ready to grind we were all hooked on the coffee. Even Carson would ask my mom for coffee!

We decided to get the equipment as an anniversary present to each other and we just roasted our first batch yesterday. It turned out a little dark (strong) but it is still delicious!

It's just one more thing that I'm doing from home and once again I love that I know more about the process that my food undergoes. We purchased fair trade organic beans so I know where they are coming from and that my money is going to support small farmers getting paid fair wages. The beans come and they look very light brown, with a greenish tint. We roast them over our camp stove outside in a popcorn popper pot. The whole process takes about 30 minutes and then we have fresh, delicious coffee for the next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment