August 23, 2010

Soap Nuts

I got really excited about a package that came in the mail today. I didn't get a new pair of shoes or a new book, but rather laundry detergent. Yes, I am excited about laundry detergent! I am trying something new that I have read good reviews for and I'm looking forward to trying it for myself.
Soap Nuts

So what is so bad about laundry detergent? It supposed to be something that you "clean" with right? Well commercial laundry detergents are comprised of synthetic chemicals that can cause all sorts of problems such as rashes, allergies, and sinus problems- just to name a few. Those chemicals do not all come out in the rinse cycle, and what does is harming the environment. The rest of it remains in our clothes that we wear day in and day out. That's a lot of chemicals that your skin is being exposed to.

Enter Soap Nuts. Soap nuts are actually berries that come from the Chinese Soapberry Tree and they are naturally harvested. The fruit ripens on the tree, falls to the ground where it is picked up and then dried in the sun. Then they are ready for use! These soap nuts contain a natural substance called saponin that is released when they come in contact with water. Even better is that saponin has anti-microbial properties and they are certified organic.

I ordered mine from Yoreganics, which I found to be the cheapest that I could find. My order came promptly and with a personalized handwritten note thanking me for my order! I haven't even put them in my washer yet and I'm already hooked. I'll follow this up with a review so you can know for sure if they really work.

For more information, visit http://www.buysoapnuts.com/index.html

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear how you like them - and exactly how you use them. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete