August 31, 2010

Homemade Deodorant

Just a warning about this post. You may learn more about my armpits than you care to know. One of the first changes we made to our morning routine was to change our deodorant. I had always heard that antiperspirant was bad to use and that deodorant was better, but I couldn't get the deodorant to work. Honestly, sometimes the clinical strength antiperspirant didn't even work. I was very hesitant to try homemade deodorant, but we did, and we love it.

Antiperspirant actually blocks your pores and keeps you from sweating which can also block the toxins from escaping your body through your sweat. The aluminum in antiperspirant and commercial deodorant is thought to increase chances of breast cancer and is also linked to Alzheimer's and brain disorders! If you do choose to purchase a natural store bought deodorant instead, make sure it is paraben (parabens have been found in high concentrations in breast tumors), fragrance, and aluminum free!

The recipe:
5-6 Tbls Coconut Oil
1/4 cup Arrowroot Powder
1/4 cup Baking Soda
A few drops Tea Tree Oil
A few drops of your favorite essential oil (optional for scent)

It's much easier to watch someone put this together than for me to explain it so I'm going have you watch this video.

Now to explain the ingredients a little better. The coconut oil smells wonderful and makes the powders go on smoother. If you get the organic, extra virgin oil, you can use it to bake with too. I also use just the coconut oil for a lotion. The arrowroot powder is a thickening agent and helps absorb moisture. The baking soda helps get rid of the odor, and the tea tree oil is an antibacterial agent. Bacteria is what can cause some of the odor of the underarms.

I will be honest and admit that while I love this deodorant and it worked well preventing stinky underarms, I do have sensitive armpits and this irritated my skin. I've heard that you can reduce the baking soda amount, because that is the irritant so give that a try if you have problems similar to me. Also, coconut oil melts at 76 degrees. We find that during the summer in our house it just gets nice and soft to apply, but when traveling, it's always melted when we arrive at our destination and we normally have oil to clean up. So I would recommend using a natural store bought alternative when traveling. I use the Kiss My Face brand and find that it works well too. My husband, however, loves the homemade and has no complaints about it.

So how do you apply it? Once it's all made up, put it in a shallow jar or dish and then apply it with your fingers. I know that may sounds gross, but your armpits should be clean when you get out of the shower or you may be doing something wrong. The oil also helps to keep your hands soft.

I know it sounds weird and it's just a little bit of work, but it's worth a try to improve your health!

No comments:

Post a Comment